Mother/Daughter Potters

We are a mother and daughter blog team. I am Gayle Hanby from Lady Lake FL. My daughter is Tara Hanby from Eugene OR

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

PORTAL SERIES

Here is #5 in the portal series - beach house.  It reminds of a house on stilts at the beach.  I
started this piece well before Hurricane Sandy, but as the piece was drying and Hurricane Sandy hit, the piece took on a whole new meaning.  My husband spent his childhood summers in Ocean City, New Jersey and it holds a special place in his heart.  He also has relatives who have been driven from their home because of Sandy and will not be able to return for several months.  It's a reminder of how fortunate we are and how that could change at any time.





I put some pieces of stained glass at the base of the house, and in the kiln the glass bubbled up and ran down the side - reminds me of the houses which were flooded in the storm.

2 comments:

  1. I've never tried glass on the side of a piece only in the bottom of a bowl, afraid I'd ruin my shelves. I love these especially since one can look through one side and see out the other, hope on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! I used a small amount of glass and it is a tall piece. I was confident that it wouldn't run all the way down. You're correct though - do have to be mindful of that.

    ReplyDelete