Mother/Daughter Potters

We are a mother and daughter blog team. I am Gayle Hanby from Lady Lake FL. My daughter is Tara Hanby from Eugene OR

Thursday, November 29, 2012

IT'S THE LITTLE THINGS!

Most of my pottery is made in my home studio.  I have a wheel and kiln and most of my work is thrown  and  thrown-and-altered.  When I started doing pottery 7 years ago I joined a local club.  This is where I learned to throw and did all of my work until I set up my home studio.  Many in our group have been there for 6 or 7 years and have become close friends. For that reason I still attend club sessions once a week.  It's become more of a social time for me.  I usually work on small pieces at the club such as beads, pendants and buttons.
A few months ago I started making pinch pot seed pods.  It's been fun to make a variety of sizes and use them to test glazes.  I've stuck them on branches from my yard and display them in a vase.  It makes me happy everytime I pass by them - Yes, it is the little things in life!
Thanks for reading and for your comments.

4 comments:

  1. Oh those pods are wonderful, I didn't realize they were pottery till you mentioned it. I wish I had a pottery group near by I would love the social aspect too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! I am fortunate to be in this group. It was just starting out when I joined and now has 35 members and a waiting list. There are 5 or 6 similar groups here in The Villages. I hope you can find something in your area. Do you have a lot of potters where you live?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pods...and I'm sure they look even better up close. Great idea, and it can get bigger and be on large types of stems (steel? wood?) and be outside in the garden. I've never done them, but I love anything organic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! I plan on making a garden totem before the Spring. That would be similar, but the larger, individual ones would also be good.
      Are my pictures too small on my blog?

      Delete