Mother/Daughter Potters

We are a mother and daughter blog team. I am Gayle Hanby from Lady Lake FL. My daughter is Tara Hanby from Eugene OR

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Sling Mold Tray

I was inspired to make this piece by a tutorial (Oct.4 2012) by Lori Watts of Fine Mess Pottery.  It was made using a slab shaped on a sling mold - I used a piece of fabric duct taped to a large plastic storage bin.  My slab was actually a cylinder thrown on the wheel and cut apart to use as a slab.  I placed the slab on the sling mold and allowed it to set up overnight covered with plastic.  Meanwhile I threw a short bottomless cylinder, removed it from the bat and shaped into a rounded rectangle.  The next day I attached the molded slab to the cylinder base.  I then added a coiled piece around the edges and coiled handles.
It was tricky to get the bottom centered under the top and I actually wasn't very successful. One edge was wider than the other and this caused it to slump during the glaze firing.  I see it as a learning experience.  Can hardly see the flaws when filled with fruit!
Thanks, Lori, for the tutorial and you permission to post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment